IB Middle Years Programme
IB MYP Coordinator
- IB Coordination Teacher, HS
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Middle Years Program (MYP) in Fairfax County is an all-inclusive program for students in grades 6 through 10; students can choose to pursue the FCPS MYP certificate in tenth grade. All students in the MYP benefit from this educational framework that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world and become critical and reflective thinkers.
The MYP aims to develop active learners and internationally minded young people who can empathize with others and pursue lives of purpose and meaning.
The programme empowers students to inquire into a wide range of issues and ideas of significance locally, nationally and globally. The result is young people who are creative, critical and reflective thinkers.
The IB Middle Years Programme:
- Addresses holistically students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being
- Provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need in order to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future
- Ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups
- Requires the study of at least two languages (language of instruction and additional language of choice) to support students in understanding their own cultures and those of others
- Empowers students to participate in service within the community
- Helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace and a lifetime of learning.